16 February 2010

Super Mario curtain rods

I decided to make curtains for Ari's Mario room, and inspiration struck as I was looking at his curtain rods. Why not be a little inventive with those as well? The ends of his curtain rods just screwed off, so it got me thinking about what Super Mario item I could screw on. I thought of using the plastic figurines, but that could get expensive. Then, I remembered a little tin Super Mario star filled with candy that we put in Ari's stocking.

I retrieved the star and began examining it in order to determine how I could make it work on the curtain rod. I figured I could just drill a hole in the side of it and screw it on the curtain rod. I was quite pleased with the prospect. I consulted with Valerie and she gave me the go ahead to purchase more star tins to complete my project. Ari and I headed to Bed Bath and Beyond since that is where we purchased the star tin.

When we got to the store, we discovered they no longer had any of the star tins in stock. Bummer. However, they did have tin Super Mario item blocks filled with 'coin' candies. How clever. I realized that these would look even better than the stars, and promptly purchased five of the item block candy tins. I only needed four, but purchased a fifth just in case I ruined one. As Ari talked up the cashier regarding her Mario skills, I explained to her my project. Leaving that poor cashier confused and bewildered, we then headed home.

I took all the candy out of the tins, and headed to the basement to start drilling holes in them. To my surprise, the project was completed in no time and was actually much easier than I was anticipating. The end result was quite pleasing as well. I don't think they could have turned out any better, and I got the satisfaction of making them myself. It's fun where a little ingenuity can take you. The item block curtain rods were complete, now on to making the curtains...



9 comments:

  1. So so cool! And very inspiring to see that transforming a home into a pleasing place doesn't always involve painful labor and disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasant Window Covering with Curtain rods Styles and Design. Simple and Elegant Design with good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great idea! Our baby boy also has a Super Mario themed room and my wife gave me the task of trying to find any nintendo related curtain rods. No dice. But these are much better then anything else I pictured. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your innovative spirit. The world is definitely lacking in that area. I was inspired by your 8-bit Mario and I'm looking into creating a mario for myself. An 8-bit single curtain w/the candy tins you made for the curtain rod. Could you walk me through the process of measurements or at least the steps you went through with the Candy tins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For the quilt measurements, I started with the size of the quilt I wanted in order to determine what size to cut the squares. In my template, I had 18 squares across by 24 squares long. For a 6.5 foot long quilt, I multiplied 6.5 times 12 to get 78 inches, then divided that by 24, the number of squares long, to get 3.25. I cut 3.75 inch squares to end up with 3.25 inch to account for overlap when the squares were sewn together.

      The tins were actually quite simple. After buying the tins, I drilled a small hole in the side and screwed then on an existing curtain rod. I suppose you could use a nut on the inside of the tin to secure it to the curtain rod better, but it is pretty stable as is. I cut a small piece of paper to cover the bottom of the tin, to hide the barcode and ingredients list.

      That's it! Just let me know if you have any more questions.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! This is the most awesome idea! I have just painted my Son's entire room as Super Mario World. I'm now on the curtain or valance and looking for inspiration. I am wondering how I can create the same curtain rod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "item block" is actually a small tin full of candy coins. I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I have also seen them at Hot Topic. I suppose you could look at any store that sells novelty candy. After buying the tins, I took the candy out and drilled a small hole in the side and screwed them on a curtain rod I already had. You could use a nut on the inside of the tin to secure it to the curtain rod better, but it is pretty stable as is. I cut a small piece of paper to cover the bottom of the tin, to hide the barcode and ingredients list.

      That's all there is to it, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. If you are buying curtain rods for this project, make sure you buy some with removable ends, or a threaded tip on the end of the rod to screw the item block on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails