14 July 2011

Blueberry Cobbler


I have yet to meet a cobbler I didn't like, and this blueberry cobbler is no exception.  I found the original recipe when I was looking for a new dessert to make with fresh strawberries.  Somehow, I stumbled upon this dish and I'm glad I did. 

The first time I made it, I used frozen blueberries and added some fresh strawberries (just because I was determined to use strawberries, I guess).  The result was a very soupy cobbler, which wasn't what I was going for at all.  The flavor was wonderful, though, so I wanted to make it again.  I ditched the strawberries, switched to fresh blueberries, and with a few other tweaks, came up with a very pleasing summer dessert.

The cobbler comes together very much like a peach cobbler recipe that I have.  An interesting ingredient to this application is boiling water.  The boiling water, poured directly on top of the cobbler just before baking, adds a shine and a nice subtle crispiness to the crust.  It is like a combination of pie and cake, and the softness and juiciness of the blueberries are a perfect compliment.  I can see myself making this cobbler again and again.

Blueberry Cobbler
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 3/4 cups sugar (divided)
4 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1 teaspoon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup boiling water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking dish.

Add the blueberries to the baking dish. Squeeze the juice from the lemon over them, add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, mix together the butter and cup of sugar until smooth. Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the sugar mixture alternately with the milk until smooth. Spoon over the berries, and spread evenly.

In another bowl, combine 3/4 cup of sugar, salt, cinnamon and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter. Then, pour the boiling water over the entire dish.

Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails