12 August 2011

Beer Battered Mushrooms


Bring the fair home with these delectable beer battered mushrooms!  One of the highlights of the county fair for me is the food.  Well, the food may be the only highlight.  Once a year, I look forward to going to the fair and indulging on the guilty culinary delights.  Fried vegetables is always on the list of items to procure.  There is just something about a selection of vegetables battered and deep fried with a side of ranch dressing that I just can't say no to.  The fried mushrooms are one of my favorites, so I wanted to try them at home.

I have made these a few times, consistently enough that the last time I made them I wrote down the recipe.  The batter couldn't be simpler, and the mushrooms are ready in no time.  The batter is versatile enough that it can be used on other vegetables as well.  I have tried cauliflower, onions, zucchini, garlic sprouts, and even cheese.  Even making them at home, the mushrooms are still my favorite.  There is just something about the crispy batter matched with the tender, juicy meat of the mushroom that is just so satisfying.  

Beer Battered Mushrooms

3/4 cups beer (your choice)
3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 oz. white button mushrooms
4 cups cooking oil

Pour the oil into a 2 quart saucepan and heat until it reaches 350 degrees.  

Add the flour, salt and pepper to a medium mixing bowl.  Slowly pour the beer into the mixture and whisk until smooth.  Dip mushrooms into the batter to coat well.  Fry mushrooms in batches of 4 or 5 in the oil for about four minutes or until golden brown.  Remove the mushrooms to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little additional salt.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails