14 September 2011

Zimmernian Pickle Power


Although my first attempt at making pickled cucumbers was a success, the flavor of the bread and butter pickles was not really what I was hoping to achieve.  The bread and butter pickles are delicious on a burger or hearty sandwich, I was looking for something that would go well with a lunch meat sandwich, or to eat on their own.

I wanted to make a dill pickle, but most of the recipes I found made use of fermentation.  Not comfortable with the idea of making fermented pickles just yet, continued to look for recipes.  Much to my delight, I stumbled upon a pickle application from Andew Zimmern.

I enjoy watching Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel.  He is my second favorite television food personality; right behind Alton Brown, of course.  Once I read the pickling process, I was very excited to make these pickles.  Here's how to do it.

I waited until I had a bunch of lemon cucumber ripe on the vine and went out for my biggest harvest.  The cucumbers were soaking on the brine in no time, and I placed them on the counter to sit for 48 hours.  It wasn't nearly as hard to wait two days as opposed to seven for the bread and butter pickles.

I was nervous about how they would turn out since the lemon cucumbers are so much rounder than traditional green cucumbers.  I worries melted away as soon as I took my first bite.  These pickle are crunchy, sour, garlicky, with just the slightest hint of heat.  A perfect pickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails